Tuesday, 7 August 2012

The number 23

I am not re-writing a book, or a movie. It just so happens that my birthday is on the twenty third of the month, and the number 23 has strong significance for me. I get on really well with others born on the 23rd. I had my first permanent job when I was 23 years old. I just heard that a friend of mine's new baby was born on the 23rd of last month. 23 is a prime number. Both 2 and 3 are also prime numbers. In my mind's eye, 23 has a certain look or certain halo: it is not 22, which I think is a cold, aloof number, or 24 which seems very 'square' to me. It is a bit wild, strong, but untidy. Yes, 23 is an untidy number.

I never before realised that my association of numbers draws pictures and feelings when I think of them. It's like when I try to solve Sudoku puzzles, each number has its own feel and character. Filling in number 7's has a completely different feel or kinaesthetic experience to filling in number 4's. Am I the only one? 

I think there is a whole mathematical significance of 23 as a prime number. I just checked out the Wikipedia version, and it seems I am not the only one who is nuts about 23. It just seems to be the best number of the month to be born on! It is unique in many (mathematical) theorems, and has many ethereal and cultural meanings in human history.    

I like this number. I will make it mine. You could make it yours. Look out for 23 in some of my designs ... soon. 








No comments:

Post a Comment